Zywie!
December 07, 2019, 11:19:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Smileycons!Smileycons!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Savings in the Kitchen from WW2  (Read 2618 times)
Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« on: July 31, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »

Savings in the Kitchen from WW2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ways in which you save for Victory in your home kitchen are almost unlimited.
The greatest of these is in the conservation of food and the elimination of waste.

1} Don't Waste Leftovers. Buy so that you will not have leftovers but if there are some use them up in an appetizing way. There are plenty of recipes and suggestions in cookbooks, magazines and newspaper.

2}Keep letovers safely in mayonaise jars, cheese jars and other wide mouth food containers as refrigerator dishes. (I had always wondered why mom saved all the jars well now I know)

3) Protect lettuce by using the oranges bags or getting other types of mesh bags. If you don't have a hydrator in your refrigerator, invest in a big covered enamel pan to keep vegatables cold, yet prevent them from dring out too quickly.

4} Save Butter and Milk....from spoilage or absorbing other food odors by having a covered butter dish and never leaving milk bottles untopped. Store these delicate food in the coldest part of refrigerator. Next to the ice or cooling unit.

5} Avoid spilling of vinegar, syrups, etc by having extra corks on hand to stop the bottle. Stuffing paper in them will not help and they will still evaporate.

6} Use stale Bread.... Don't throw away the food value of it. If your family doesnt like bread pudding nor for bread in making stewed tomatoes, then put it aside to get hard . Then once a week put the ends, or the hard pieces in a grater or use a rolling pin and make bread crumbs out of it. Use for breading fish, steak, or stretching the hamburgers, and scrambled eggs. Keep in airtight sealed jars.

7} Hard cheese Don't throw away... Grate and put in sealed jars. Great on salads, sauces, etc.

8} Conserve fats in cookery....and you directly Save For Victory...The lard or vegatable shortening that you use for frying may be reused without affecting food flavor. Pour the unused portion back into the can or into a crock or other special container instead of the refuse can. Save bacon and sausage fat for cooking.

9} Apples should be kept in a cool place. keep out of the sun,

10} Do you have an Ice Box? Don't ever wrap the ice with paper to keep it from melting...it will only stop the cooling process...keep the ice box full and the doors closed tightly. It will keep the ice from melting to fast.

11}Open the door as little as possible to keep the coolness in. When you go in the Ice Box take all the ingrediants out that you need on the one trip.

12} Frost means Cost...defrost when ever you see the frost.

13} Seven ways to save on soap... Use water softners, get the right soap for the job to be done, use a soap saver, compare soap prices, use a soap dish....this is one I thought was usefull....Jelly your soap..save the little pcs of soap not used and put in a jelly jar...when full boil up with a little water ..let it cool into a jelly like substance use while doing the dishes, etc
14} Age your soap ...taking the wrappers off and storing away on a shelf for at least several weeks.

15} Getting rid of common stains...Blood...use cold water never Hot water...gum use an ice cube to rub off

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:49:29 PM »

Roll Eyes  This works for me ... keep celery in a clear plastic bag to remain crisp.  I don't know why it works but it does. 

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 06:50:07 AM »

I don't understand this one, either, but if I wrap my cut cucumbers in aluminum foil, they don't spoil as fast........works for celery too..........go figure???

I've also recently discovered Press N Seal by Glad..........if I've got a little piece of green pepper leftover and wrap it in that, it stays as good as when I last used it............still experimenting with this product, but so far so good.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: