Zywie!
September 17, 2019, 06:38:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hurry SPRING!!!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympics Who's your favorite to Win Gold?  (Read 4072 times)
possum
Administrator

« on: February 14, 2006, 12:33:17 PM »

I haven't been following much this year, so fill me in on the highlights and who is most favored to win gold!

So far, I am most interested in the new kid taking Kwans place on the skating team. May be promising.

Zywie!
Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:46:32 PM »

There is no one in the world with the class and style to compare with Michelle Kwan..........she's done more for figure skating in the past 10 years than anyone ever has done...........she's always shown such integrity and genuineness..........we should all strive to do as well.  Even without a gold medal, she's won more titles than anyone else ever has, and has done it with grace and style.

Sasha Kohen is a very good skater, but she's always had a very snippy attitude that I just cannot abide.  IF she manages to pull this off and win, the medal would go to someone with no class whatsoever..........it would be a blow to figure skating, in my opinion.   She has blown big events in the past, though so it's not a sure thing, that's for sure.  To be quite honest, I'd love to see the Hughes girl come in and blow them all away.............Kimmie Miesner (sp?) has a chance as well.........she's got a lot going for her if her nerves don't mess her up.

That is my humble assessment of the subject.  I could expound more, but will not bore you any more.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
possum
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 09:49:32 PM »

Please do go on.

I only caught a bit in the paper about the groin thing, and know nothing about the alernate other than she is the sister to a medal winner, blah blah blah.

I remember skating on the pond back in the 60's 70's and we always looked forward to the olympic skating, then after we would go out and bust our buts trying new things we saw, and performing them flawlessly I might add  Cheesy

So if you were to compete in any olympic sport what would it be?
cone10

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:50:15 PM »

I just was lucky enough to tune in just as the( bronze) figure skating couple was finishing up their skating flight in white fringy-billowing wings, which was beautiful enough to hook me into watching the next skaters.

Immediately following them was a daring couple who looked like they were born skating together...their energy together was like one.  That was the Russians, and they got the gold. 

Wasn't fortunate enough to see "our" silver medal winners...

I remember the old days of wanting to try all the skating moves...Hamil Camel, anyone???   Think I'll go look for a nice patch of ice tomorrow..... Wink Wink Wink Cheesy Cheesy
possum
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 10:05:30 AM »

Well the new kid seems to be doing well. Not that I am partial to the fact that she lives a few miles away, in Coronal de
Mar, but it is more like a Cinderella story now.

While I may not have actually seen her skate, been following the paper and forming an opinion off of that.

Anybody remember Karagen and Harding?
Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »

Who doesn't remember Kerrigan and Harding Shocked.........we'd all like to forget it, I"m sure.  Nancy's still around........see her in specials now and then.......and she took part in that 'Skating with the stars' series a month or so ago.  Saw a clip of Tonya and she looks like she's had a really rough road........it's too bad she got so full of herself and blew it back then.

As much as I hate to admit it, I was rooting against an American skater for gold this year........I've voiced my opinion on Cohen (and her two falls did not surprise me in the least.........she's choaked plenty times before).  The two younger ones..Meisner and Hughes.. did okay, but they are just too young and inexperienced...... however they did gain a lot from their Olympic experience.........we'll have a strong team next time, that's for sure.   The gold medalist from Japan really deserved it, in my opinion..........she did a wonderful job.  I was really rooting for Irina Slutskya...........I figure this was her last shot......between her age (27) and her medical problems........and she is so very gifted, I'd hoped she could finally get that gold, but alas, 'twas not to be.

I didn't have any other favorites in figure skating this year.........just enjoyed the beauty and athletics of the sport.   I'm very glad to see that most of the ice dancing is more "dance" of late........for a while it had gotten pretty far out.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
possum
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 10:43:06 PM »

That's what I heard about Japans skater.

But here's a little twist I just found out about Cohen. I didn't know until a couple days ago that she used to skate at the Ice Chalet in Costa Mesa CA. 

It cracks me up as I used to skate there before they shut it down a few years ago. I might have even seen her training for all I know. There where alot of rich kid brats skating there being the only rink close to Newport Beach.

If you get a chance, watch the movie "Ice Princesss". You'll like it.

spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 11:44:13 PM »

I haven't had much time to watch the olympics this year but I did catch some of the ladies hockey.  I was glad to see the Canadian team take the gold seeing that the men's did so badly. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: