Zywie!
January 16, 2018, 06:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!!
Smileycons!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Diabetic Section  (Read 8543 times)
spicegurl
Administrator

« on: February 21, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »

Will you be adding a special section for recipes that are diabetic friendly?   Smiley

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 02:10:10 PM »

Such recipes would be more than welcome, but I have no experience in that area, so would need outside imput.........most recipes posted by me have been tested by me.   I have no diabetic cooking experience.  Sorry..........maybe someone will visit and offer some help in that area.............how about it?Huh?............anyone?Huh??

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 03:14:11 PM »

I have some recipes but .... I also throw in some cheats too.  I will post a reply for the cheat version like I did already in the Nectarine Blush recipe.   Wink

possum
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »

A friend of mine is diabetic and I would love to see a section for Diabetic.

I have my own beleifs about diabetics, and I think many doctors are making the problem worse for the patients. A good, strick smart diet helps tremendously in keeping symptoms in check. Let's face it, a diabetic does have to alter their eating habits.

A person I know carries around a bag of medicine that just looks like a tric-or-treaters candy bag. It's insane the amount of medicine this person takes, when a bit of self dicipline would go a long way.
spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 07:09:02 AM »

I am a diabetic but I do not use medication at the moment.  I use diet and exercise to control this situation and very seldom do I go above he norm.  My diabetes is the same as certain races that eat outside their heritage norm which in some ways messes things up.  Pasta, flour, potato .... well basically any starches will elevate my blood sugar.   I can post things on the board that is fine for me but I would suggest that anyone with diabetes should look at the ingredients and decide for themselves.  I can eat sugar and fruits with less impact than what most can. 

possum
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 05:32:12 PM »

OK, I have given this diabetic section some thought, I can add it, but there will need to be certain conditions stuck to. I am a firm believer that synthetic sweeteners cause more trouble than good. While people may accept that these artificial sweeteners are OK to use, I do not beleive so, and see it as against the whole Zywie principle of Healthy Living.

I have a hard enough time accepting surgar in recipes, but I'm not a total "soup nazi". Moderation is key.

When it comes to a synthetic sugar subsitute, you're just asking for trouble. When sugar is refined, the nutrients are washed out of it leaving hollow calories. A great book "Sugar Blues" a must read. Google search spenda to see some horror stories.

I'm sure that to eat healthy and being diabetic, you shouldn't have to pollute your food with such addatives just to force them down. If the diabetic section can adhere to this one request, I will add it gladly. (I'll probably add it anyway and just go off on the recipes that have rat poison in them Grin)

Give me a list of categories and I'll get it up and running.
Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 10:38:40 AM »

To be quite honest with you, possum, I have absolutely no experience in the diabetic area......I happened to run across the key lime pie recipe and thought perhaps Inde would like it, so I posted it for her.  My body cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners of any kind........every single time I've ever tried something that contained one, I got sick to my stomach.   I use plain old sugar.  I have many, many recipes for desserts, some have higher sugar content than others.....I'll share some of them with you and you can make your own determination.   I've always felt there should be moderation in everything.  As I stated in my intro, I have been focusing on lowering fats in our diet.........and changing to healthier fats.   We eat desserts, but try to keep them as low fat as possible and eat them in moderation.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
possum
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 11:17:00 AM »

To be quite honest with you, possum, I have absolutely no experience in the diabetic area......I happened to run across the key lime pie recipe and thought perhaps Inde would like it, so I posted it for her.  My body cannot tolerate artificial sweeteners of any kind........every single time I've ever tried something that contained one, I got sick to my stomach.   I use plain old sugar.  I have many, many recipes for desserts, some have higher sugar content than others.....I'll share some of them with you and you can make your own determination.   I've always felt there should be moderation in everything.  As I stated in my intro, I have been focusing on lowering fats in our diet.........and changing to healthier fats.   We eat desserts, but try to keep them as low fat as possible and eat them in moderation.

I agree, and the point of my previous is kindof what you just said. I just don't want to have a "diabetic section" and have it filled with poisonous recipes. Moderation is key. Substituting a worse poison for a questionable poison on a section devoted for diabetic food, well that just doesn't support the whole theme of Zywie.com

So it would be my hope that with my little disclaimer, that the diabetic community would create tastey healthy dishes and recipes, avoiding these known not so healthy ingredients.

So then, create a diabetic section also? Not only with recipes but discussion section too? We could save lives here too, you know.  Wink
possum
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 11:03:16 PM »

Indi, I haven't heard back from you on this, everything OK?
spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 01:25:01 AM »

Sorry Possum.  Was over working myself and then we both know what happened.    Will be posting more now but have to do it in stride. 

Dang ... I just looked at my time ... to bed I go.  I'll have a diabetic recipe posted tomorrow.   Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: