Zywie!
October 17, 2017, 03:21:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!!
Smileycons!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lady Cooksalot, I need your help  (Read 1955 times)
spicegurl
Administrator

« on: December 07, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »

Goodness, I am so glad to be able to get in here ... I always lose my password and the one I found actually worked. 

My dear, I do need your help.  I have been having a heck of a time with my diabetes lately.  Seems my pancreas is making less insulin theses days.  I am now on meds as I can no longer control it with diet and exercise.  Christmas is coming and my list of foods that I can eat seems to be very short.  I was wondering ... do you have any diabetic recipes for holiday foods?  I have to keep my sugars and starches very low.  You wouldn't believe how hard it's been lately trying to balance things out ...  Cry

spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 12:09:47 AM »

New meds have a side effect .. weight gain.  Even on these meds, I can't get below 11 and my target goal is 7.  Anyone got any idea on how to get it down.  Eating rabbit food ... very little meat.   Sad

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »

I wish I could help you, honey, but I have absolutely no experience with diabetes and actually have no one really close to me that does, so I have no knowledge to share.  I was actually counting on you to 'bring that to the table'.......*wink*....... Cheesy

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »

Diabetes meds caused major problems.  I'm going to need some recipes for fennel seeds to help me recover.  You have any recipes?  They tasted nasty on their own. 

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 04:42:26 PM »

Hmmm..........never used fennel seeds..........I'll see what I can find.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »

Hey spicegurl, I found this recipe at whatscookingamerica.net:   Looks kinda good........

Dukkah is a delicious blend of nuts, seeds, and spices. It is based on a traditional Middle Eastern recipe. I first discovered this great mixture while on vacation in Western Australia (WA). It has become a popular seasoning in Australia and can easily be purchased there, but why buy it when you can easily make your own. What is great about making dukkah, is that your can add and subtract ingredients to please yourself and family. You can use any excess Dukkah to coat chicken or seafood before baking, and also sprinkle on salads or vegetables. Let your imagination be your guide!

The traditional way to serve Dukkah is with extra-virgin oil and bread. First you dunk a piece of bread in the olive oil and then in the Dukkah. I served this at a large wine tasting party, and it was a big hit!

Dukkah Recipe
 Appetizer, Dips, Nuts and Seeds
Cuisine: Middle East
Yields: serves many
Prep time: 20 min

Ingredients:
1 cup shelled roasted pistachio nuts*
1 cup shelled roasted almonds
1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon Smoked Spanish Paprika (optional)
1 tablespoon coarse salt or sea salt
1 to 2 teaspoons coarsely crushed black peppercorns
* Hazelnuts, pine nuts, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, and/or peanuts may be substituted. If you cannot purchase roasted nuts, toast the nuts in a hot oven for approximately 10 minutes (watch closely so they do not burn), stirring frequently.

Preparation: In a separate container from the nuts, toast coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seed in a hot oven for approximately 5 to 8 minutes (also watch carefully so they do not burn). Remove from oven and let cool. In your food processor, grind your toasted nuts until the mixture resembles small breadcrumbs. The mixture should be very dry and crumbly, not a paste. Be careful as over processing can release the oils in the nuts and turn the mixture into a nut spread such as peanut butter. In a mortar and pestle, grind the coriander seeds, fennels seeds, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes slightly. You can try using your food processor for this, but I find the seeds are too small for using it. In a bowl, combine the crushed nuts, crushed seeds, Smoked Spanish Paprika, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Store mixture in a covered container in the refrigerator.

To serve as a dip: Place 1 cup Dukkah in a small bowl and about 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a separate bowl. Dip cubes of fresh crusty bread first into the oil, then into the Dukkah and enjoy!

This site had numerous recipes containing fennel seeds..........just go there and search fennel seeds.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: