Zywie!
September 17, 2019, 05:40:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hurry SPRING!!!

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spices and Herbs  (Read 4842 times)
spicegurl
Administrator

« on: March 09, 2006, 08:37:03 AM »

I thought this would be a great topic for everyone to participate in.  Tell us about your favorite herbs and spices, how you use them and any types of remedies they can be used for as well.

Did you know that cooking spices for too long could increase the strength of the flavors?  Sometimes before I even put my meat in a frying pan, I add the spices to the spot I am about to put my meat on and let them warm up a little.  It seems to enhance the flavors and the meat absorbs them better.

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »

I use a lot of thyme myself..........it really enhances a LOT of foods...........vegetables, beef stew, chicken.....of course jambalaya.......etc.
And I love the flavor that Rosemary adds...........have you tried my salmon recipe?..........its yummy..........we just had some last night.
Those are the herbs I use most often, although I like to experimentand have a lot of spices and herbs on hand.  I only have rosemary, thyme and chives in my herb patch, so far..........can't decide what else I want to plant.  Tried planting cilantro a couple years ago, but didn't use it fast enough and it bolted..........I should have frozen some, but didn't get it done.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
cone10

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 07:02:07 PM »

I love fresh basil!  Great on homemade pizzas,  and soups.  Thai basil chopped and sprinkled on tomato slices, topped with shredded parmesan/mozz browned under the broiler is fabulous!

Catnip tea put me to sleep.  (add a bit of honey?)

I heard somewhere that 6 cloves of garlic (over a week's time) equals a dose of penicillin.  Great in pasta salads, and cut in half, rubbed on toasted, buttered bread.  Too bad if people don't like my breath... I figure people who don't like garlic are vampires, anyway.

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 01:04:45 PM »

I personally use garlic a LOT!!!.   It adds such a wonderful flavor to so many foods and it it soooo good for you in so many ways.   I just make sure my husband eats it too Grin Grin  I much prefer fresh garlic to the jarred stuff, although I do keep that on hand.  Right now I'm anticipating a batch of garlic from a friend who grows it.......that stuff is absolutely magnificent!!!  Even the 'fresh' garlic in the stores cannot compare to the freshness of this!!!  He's promised me some in the next few weeks....Yummmm

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body,  but rather to skid in sideways - glass of wine in one hand - chocolate in the other -body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!"
possum
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »

Garlic, yes that has to be my most used. Love the taste, love the healing benifits.

If I think I'm coming down with something, I chomp a clove of garlic. Works pretty good, if not for backing up potential germ carriers.  Lips Sealed

Cinnamon and nutmeg are good too.
cone10

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 07:16:35 AM »

I once read  somerwhere that around 7 cloves of garlic were equal to a shot of penicillin.  Love that garlic!  Parsley and basil rate up there, too!  DO love the cayenne pepper, too!  All of them on everything!  (Well, maybe not ice cream...)  Although the cayenne...hmmmm
cone10

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 07:34:42 AM »

Parsley is the cat's meow.  So easy to grow, also, and stays green into winter.  It IS a Biennial, which means it grows from seed the first year, then makes seed the second.  So hopefully it will re-seed itself, but might as well plant another plant, just in case...Can't have too much parsley!   

On garlic bread, soup, stews, pizza, salads,   DO love the cayenne pepper, too!  On almost everything!   (Well, maybe not ice cream...)  Although, hmmm...

spicegurl
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 12:34:52 AM »

Cone, is parsley easy to grow indoors during the winter?  I know that garlic grows great in the window over the winter as it loves the cold weather but parsley, I am wondering it it might be too sensative. 

Lady Cooksalot
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 08:45:53 PM »

I think my neighbor keeps parsley in a pot in the winter, but I've never tried it.  I wintered my rosemary plant in the house last year, then replanted it outside for the summer.  It got so big I didn't want it in the house, so left it outside to freeze this year.......have to buy a new one in the Spring.  My thyme made it through the winter last year..........wonder if it will come back this Spring?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: